Readings of the Day: Wednesday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time
Listen to me, daughter; see and bend your ear.
Reading for the Day
Reading for the Day
1 Corinthians 7:25-31
- 25 Now concerning the unmarried, I have no command of the Lord, but I give my opinion as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy.
- 26 I think that in view of the present distress it is well for a person to remain as he is.
- 27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek marriage.
- 28 But if you marry, you do not sin, and if a girl marries she does not sin. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.
- 29 I mean, brethren, the appointed time has grown very short; from now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none,
- 30 and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods,
- 31 and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the form of this world is passing away.
Response: Listen to me, daughter; see and bend your ear.
- 10 Hear, O daughter, consider, and incline your ear; forget your people and your father's house;
- 11 and the king will desire your beauty. Since he is your lord, bow to him; R
- 12 the people of Tyre will sue your favor with gifts, the richest of the people
- 13 with all kinds of wealth. The princess is decked in her chamber with gold-woven robes; R
- 14 in many-colored robes she is led to the king, with her virgin companions, her escort, in her train.
- 15 With joy and gladness they are led along as they enter the palace of the king. R
- 16 Instead of your fathers shall be your sons; you will make them princes in all the earth. R
Gospelfor the Day
- 20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: "Blessed are you poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
- 21 "Blessed are you that hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. "Blessed are you that weep now, for you shall laugh.
- 22 "Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of man!
- 23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.
- 24 "But woe to you that are rich, for you have received your consolation.
- 25 "Woe to you that are full now, for you shall hunger. "Woe to you that laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.
- 26 "Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.
- To collaborate in order to build – Responding to the challenge of internal displacement
- United States: Trump announces executive order to protect babies born alive
- 24th September: Celebrating Heritage Day in South Africa
- Our Lady of Ransom
- Caritas Europa: EU Pact on Asylum and Migration falls short of expectations
- Cardinal Czerny: Displaced persons can be a positive force of change
- US Bishops call for an end to federal executions.