Readings of the Day: Wednesday of the Twenty-eighth Week in Ordinary Time
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers.
Reading for the Day
- 18 But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law.
- 19 Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness,
- 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit,
- 21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
- 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- 23 gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law.
- 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
- 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.
Psalms 1:1-4, 6
Response: Those who follow you, Lord, will have the light of life.
- 1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
- 2 but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.R
- 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. R
- 4 The wicked are not so, but are like chaff which the wind drives away.
- 6 for the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish. R
Gospel for the Day
- 42 "But woe to you Pharisees! for you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and neglect justice and the love of God; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.
- 43 Woe to you Pharisees! for you love the best seat in the synagogues and salutations in the market places.
- 44 Woe to you! for you are like graves which are not seen, and men walk over them without knowing it."
- 45 One of the lawyers answered him, "Teacher, in saying this you reproach us also."
- 46 And he said, "Woe to you lawyers also! for you load men with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not touch the burdens with one of your fingers.
- Pope signs Rome 2020 Appeal for Peace
- Pope Francis: No one is saved alone
- India: Protests continue against arrest of elderly Jesuit priest
- Pope to participate in Moment of prayer for peace
- Holy See urges integral ecology for disaster risk management
- COVID-19 in Africa: Serious social and economic shocks ahead
- Patriarch Bartholomew on “Fratelli tutti”: abandon indifference and cynicism