Readings of the Day: Wednesday of the Second Week of Lent
Save me, O Lord, in your kindness.
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
- 18 Then they said, "Come, let us make plots against Jeremiah, for the law shall not perish from the priest, nor counsel from the wise, nor the word from the prophet. Come, let us smite him with the tongue, and let us not heed any of his words."
- 19 Give heed to me, O LORD, and hearken to my plea.
- 20 Is evil a recompense for good? Yet they have dug a pit for my life. Remember how I stood before thee to speak good for them, to turn away thy wrath from them.
Psalms 31:5-6, 14-16
Response: Save me, O Lord, in your kindness.
- 4 take me out of the net which is hidden for me, for thou art my refuge.
- 5 Into thy hand I commit my spirit; thou hast redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God. R
- 13 Yea, I hear the whispering of many -- terror on every side! -- as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life. R
- 14 But I trust in thee, O LORD, I say, "Thou art my God."
- 15 My times are in thy hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors!R
Gospel for the day
- 17 And as Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve disciples aside, and on the way he said to them,
- 18 "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man will be delivered to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn him to death,
- 19 and deliver him to the Gentiles to be mocked and scourged and crucified, and he will be raised on the third day."
- 20 Then the mother of the sons of Zeb'edee came up to him, with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him for something.
- 21 And he said to her, "What do you want?" She said to him, "Command that these two sons of mine may sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom."
- 22 But Jesus answered, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?" They said to him, "We are able."
- 23 He said to them, "You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father."
- 24 And when the ten heard it, they were indignant at the two brothers.
- 25 But Jesus called them to him and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them.
- 26 It shall not be so among you; but whoever would be great among you must be your servant,
- 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave;
- 28 even as the Son of man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
- Safeguarding during Covid-19: A Victims Perspective
- Why we pray during a global pandemic
- Russia admits higher Covid-19 deathtoll amid journalist detentions
- Covid-19 and the future of the European economy
- Covid-19: Masses resume in Timor-Leste churches
- Venezuelan Bishops appeal for transformative national plan
- Webinars aim to strengthen Churchs safeguarding best practices