Readings of the Day: Wednesday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time
Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments!
Reading for the Day
2 Corinthians 9:6-11
- 6 The point is this: he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
7 Each one must do as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that you may always have enough of everything and may provide in abundance for every good work.
9 As it is written, "He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor; his righteousness endures for ever."
10 He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your resources and increase the harvest of your righteousness.
11 You will be enriched in every way for great generosity, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God;
Psalms 112:1-4, 9
Response: Happy are those who fear the Lord.
- 1 Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments!
- 2 His descendants will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. R
- 3 Wealth and riches are in his house; and his righteousness endures for ever. R
- 4 Light rises in the darkness for the upright; the LORD is gracious, merciful, and righteous.
- 9 He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures for ever; his horn is exalted in honor. R
Gospel for the Day
Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18
- 1 "Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
- 2 "Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
- 3 But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
- 4 so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
- 5 "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
- 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
- 16 "And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
- 17 But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,
- 18 that your fasting may not be seen by men but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
- Myanmar Church invites all religions to national prayer campaign
- DR Congo: Vandals target residence of Kinshasas Archbishop
- Pope Francis to resume General Audiences in Paul VI Hall
- Let us pray for parish priests everywhere
- Saint John Mary Vianney | Saint of the Day
- Readings of the day: Wednesday of the Eighteenth Week in Ordinary Time
- Lord, let us “have great faith”