Readings of the Day: Tuesday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time
Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised in the city of our God! His holy mountain, beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth, Mount Zion, in the far north, the city of the great King.
Reading for the Day
Reading for the Day
2 Kings 19:9-11, 14-21, 31-36
- 9 And when the king heard concerning Tirha'kah king of Ethiopia, "Behold, he has set out to fight against you," he sent messengers again to Hezeki'ah, saying,
- 10 "Thus shall you speak to Hezeki'ah king of Judah: `Do not let your God on whom you rely deceive you by promising that Jerusalem will not be given into the hand of the king of Assyria.
- 11 Behold, you have heard what the kings of Assyria have done to all lands, destroying them utterly. And shall you be delivered?
- 14 Hezeki'ah received the letter from the hand of the messengers, and read it; and Hezeki'ah went up to the house of the LORD, and spread it before the LORD.
- 15 And Hezeki'ah prayed before the LORD, and said: "O LORD the God of Israel, who art enthroned above the cherubim, thou art the God, thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; thou hast made heaven and earth.
- 16 Incline thy ear, O LORD, and hear; open thy eyes, O LORD, and see; and hear the words of Sennach'erib, which he has sent to mock the living God.
- 17 Of a truth, O LORD, the kings of Assyria have laid waste the nations and their lands,
- 18 and have cast their gods into the fire; for they were no gods, but the work of men's hands, wood and stone; therefore they were destroyed.
- 19 So now, O LORD our God, save us, I beseech thee, from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that thou, O LORD, art God alone."
- 20 Then Isaiah the son of Amoz sent to Hezeki'ah, saying, "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: Your prayer to me about Sennach'erib king of Assyria I have heard.
- 21 This is the word that the LORD has spoken concerning him: "She despises you, she scorns you -- the virgin daughter of Zion; she wags her head behind you -- the daughter of Jerusalem.
- 31 for out of Jerusalem shall go forth a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors. The zeal of the LORD will do this.
- 32 "Therefore thus says the LORD concerning the king of Assyria, He shall not come into this city or shoot an arrow there, or come before it with a shield or cast up a siege mound against it.
- 33 By the way that he came, by the same he shall return, and he shall not come into this city, says the LORD.
- 34 For I will defend this city to save it, for my own sake and for the sake of my servant David."
- 35 And that night the angel of the LORD went forth, and slew a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the camp of the Assyrians; and when men arose early in the morning, behold, these were all dead bodies.
- 36 Then Sennach'erib king of Assyria departed, and went home, and dwelt at Nin'eveh.
Psalms 48(47):2-4, 10-11
Response: God upholds his city for ever
- 1 Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised in the city of our God! His holy mountain,
- 2 beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth, Mount Zion, in the far north, the city of the great King. R
- 3 Within her citadels God has shown himself a sure defense.
- 9 We have thought on thy steadfast love, O God, in the midst of thy temple. R
- 10 As thy name, O God, so thy praise reaches to the ends of the earth. Thy right hand is filled with victory; R
Gospel for the Day
Matthew 7:6, 12-14
- 6 "Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under foot and turn to attack you.
- 12 So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
- 13 "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
- 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
- Nigerian Bishops salute COVID-19 frontline workers
- Myanmars faith leaders urge country to seek the good of all
- Churches in Scotland reopen for communal worship on 15 July
- Pope Francis donates ventilator to Brazil hospital
- Covid-19: UN warns pandemic could push 130 million into hunger
- US Bishops call for prayers ahead of anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings
- The "Pope Francis" Hospital Ship joins the fight against Covid-19