Readings of the Day: Tuesday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time
The house of Israel trusts in the Lord.
Reading for the Day
Reading for the Day
Hosea 8:4-7, 11-13
- 4 They have reigned, but not by me: they have been princes, and I knew not: of their silver, and their gold they have made idols to themselves, that they might perish.
- 5 Thy calf, O Samaria, is cast off, my wrath is kindled against them. How long will they be incapable of being cleansed?
- 6 For itself also is the invention of Israel: a workman made it, and it is no god: for the calf of Samaria shall be turned to spiders webs.
- 7 For they shall sow wind, and reap a whirlwind, there is no standing stalk in it, the bud shall yield no meal; and if it should yield, strangers shall eat it.
- 11 Because Ephraim hath made many altars to sin: altars are become to him unto sin.
- 12 I shall write to him my manifold laws, which have been accounted as foreign.
- 13 They shall offer victims, they shall sacrifice flesh, and shall eat it, and the Lord will not receive them: now will he remember their iniquity, and will visit their sins: they shall return to Egypt.
Psalms 115:3-4, 5-6, 7ab-8, 9-10
Response: The house of Israel trusts in the Lord.
- 3 Our God is in heaven and does whatever he wills.
- 4 Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. R
- 5 They have mouths but do not speak, eyes but do not see.
- 6 They have ears but do not hear, noses but do not smell. R
- 7 They have hands but do not feel, feet but do not walk; they produce no sound from their throats.
- 8 Their makers will be like them, and anyone who trusts in them.
- 9 The house of Israel trusts in the LORD, who is their help and shield.
- 10 The house of Aaron trusts in the LORD, who is their help and shield. R
Gospel for the Day
- 32 As they were going away, behold, a dumb demoniac was brought to him.
- 33 And when the demon had been cast out, the dumb man spoke; and the crowds marveled, saying, "Never was anything like this seen in Israel."
- 34 But the Pharisees said, "He casts out demons by the prince of demons."
- 35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease and every infirmity.
- 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
- 37 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;
- 38 pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."
- Pope extends Eastern Catholic Patriarchs jurisdiction over Arabian Peninsula
- Japan marks 75 years since atomic bombing of Hiroshima
- CDF: Baptisms conferred with arbitrarily modified formulas are not valid
- Pope appoints new members to Council for the Economy
- Pope expresses closeness to Japan on 75th anniversary of Hiroshima bombing
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki: 75 anni after the nuclear holocaust
- EU bishops express closeness with Lebanese people after deadly blasts