Readings of the Day: Thursday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time
Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you.
Reading for the Day
Reading for the Day
1 Corinthians 8:1-7, 11-13
- 1 Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that "all of us possess knowledge." "Knowledge" puffs up, but love builds up.
- 2 If any one imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know.
- 3 But if one loves God, one is known by him.
- 4 Hence, as to the eating of food offered to idols, we know that "an idol has no real existence," and that "there is no God but one."
- 5 For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth -- as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords" --
- 6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
- 7 However, not all possess this knowledge. But some, through being hitherto accustomed to idols, eat food as really offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.
- 11 And so by your knowledge this weak man is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died.
- 12 Thus, sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
- 13 Therefore, if food is a cause of my brother's falling, I will never eat meat, lest I cause my brother to fall.
Psalms 139:1-3, 13-14, 23-24
Response: Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
- 1 O LORD, thou hast searched me and known me!
- 2 Thou knowest when I sit down and when I rise up; thou discernest my thoughts from afar. R
- 3 Thou searchest out my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
- 13 For thou didst form my inward parts, thou didst knit me together in my mother's womb. R
- 14 I praise thee, for thou art fearful and wonderful. Wonderful are thy works! Thou knowest me right well;
- 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!
- 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! R
Gospel for the Day
- 27 "But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
- 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.
- 29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt.
- 30 Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again.
- 31 And as you wish that men would do to you, do so to them.
- 32 "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
- 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
- 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
- 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish.
- 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.
- 37 "Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;
- 38 give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back."
- Nobel laureate: pandemic could undo progress in childrens rights
- The US offers reward for capture of Colombian rebel leader
- Alison Davis: Suffering with Christ is greatest privilege in the world
- Ladaria: Necessary teaching in light of legislation on euthanasia
- Parolin: UN still needed to respond to the hopes of the worlds people
- Taking care of the sick, learning what it means to love
- “Euthanasia is a crime against human life, incurable does not mean end of care”