Readings of the Day: Thursday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time
And I saw in the right hand of him who was seated on the throne a scroll written within and on the back, sealed with seven seals.
Reading for the Day
- 1 And I saw in the right hand of him who was seated on the throne a scroll written within and on the back, sealed with seven seals;
- 2 and I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, "Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?"
- 3 And no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or to look into it,
- 4 and I wept much that no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to into into it.
- 5 Then one of the elders said to me, "Weep not; lo, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals."
- 6 And between the throne and the four living creatures and among the elders, I saw a Lamb standing, as though it had been slain, with seven horns and with seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth;
- 7 and he went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who was seated on the throne.
- 8 And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints;
- 9 and they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy art thou to take the scroll and to open its seals, for thou wast slain and by thy blood didst ransom men for God from every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
- 10 and hast made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on earth."
Psalms 149:1-6, 9
Response: The Lamb has made us a kingdom of priests to serve our God.
- 1 Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise in the assembly of the faithful!
- 2 Let Israel be glad in his Maker, let the sons of Zion rejoice in their King! R
- 3 Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with timbrel and lyre!
- 4 For the LORD takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with victory. R
- 5 Let the faithful exult in glory; let them sing for joy on their couches.
- 6 Let the high praises of God be in their throats and two-edged swords in their hands,
- 9 to execute on them the judgment written! This is glory for all his faithful ones. Praise the LORD! R
Gospel for the Day
- 41 And when he drew near and saw the city he wept over it,
- 42 saying, "Would that even today you knew the things that make for peace! But now they are hid from your eyes.
- 43 For the days shall come upon you, when your enemies will cast up a bank about you and surround you, and hem you in on every side,
- 44 and dash you to the ground, you and your children within you, and they will not leave one stone upon another in you; because you did not know the time of your visitation."
- Middle East Council of Churches appeals for stability in the Caucasus
- Chilean Archbishop denounces shooting of two minors in foster home
- WMO alarmed over record CO2 levels in atmosphere
- Mexico: Festival of the Virgin of Guadalupe cancelled due to pandemic
- 28 November: an unprecedented Consistory in times of Covid-19
- Pope authorizes 8 decrees on candidates to sainthood
- Germany warns of Coronavirus vaccine race between rich and poor