Readings of the day: Thursday of the Seventeenth Week in Ordinary Time
Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob.
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
- 1 The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying:
- 2 “Rise up and descend into the house of the potter, and there you will hear my words.”
- 3 And I descended into the house of the potter, and behold, he was making a work on the wheel.
- 4 And the vessel, which he was making with his hands out of clay, broke. And turning away, he made another vessel, for it had been pleasing in his eyes to make it.
- 5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying:
- 6 “Am I not able to do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done, says the Lord? Behold, like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.
Response: Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob.
- 1 Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul!
- 2 I will praise the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have being. R
- 3 Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no help.
- 4 When his breath departs he returns to his earth; on that very day his plans perish. R
- 5 Happy is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God, R
Gospel for the day
- 47 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net which was thrown into the sea and gathered fish of every kind;
- 48 when it was full, men drew it ashore and sat down and sorted the good into vessels but threw away the bad.
- 49 So it will be at the close of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous,
- 50 and throw them into the furnace of fire; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.
- 51 "Have you understood all this?" They said to him, "Yes."
- 52 And he said to them, "Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old."
- 53 And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there,
- Japan marks 75 years since atomic bombing of Hiroshima
- CDF: Baptisms conferred with arbitrarily modified formulas are not valid
- Pope appoints new members to Council for the Economy
- Pope expresses closeness to Japan on 75th anniversary of Hiroshima bombing
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki: 75 anni after the nuclear holocaust
- EU bishops express closeness with Lebanese people after deadly blasts
- Caritas launches emergency plan to assist victims of Beirut explosion