Readings of the day: Thursday of the First Week of Advent
O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his steadfast love endures for ever!
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
- 1 In that day this song will be sung in the land of Judah: "We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
- 2 Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith may enter in.
- 3 Thou dost keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusts in thee.
- 4 Trust in the LORD for ever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock.
- 5 For he has brought low the inhabitants of the height, the lofty city. He lays it low, lays it low to the ground, casts it to the dust.
- 6 The foot tramples it, the feet of the poor, the steps of the needy."
Psalms 118:1, 8-9, 19-21, 25-27
Response: Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
- 1 O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his steadfast love endures for ever!
- 8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
- 9 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to put confidence in princes. R
- 19 Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the LORD.
- 20 This is the gate of the LORD; the righteous shall enter through it.
- 21 I thank thee that thou hast answered me and hast become my salvation. R
- 25 Save us, we beseech thee, O LORD! O LORD, we beseech thee, give us success!
- 26 Blessed be he who enters in the name of the LORD! We bless you from the house of the LORD.
- 27 The LORD is God, and he has given us light. Bind the festal procession with branches, up to the horns of the altar! R
Gospel for thed ay
Matthew 7:21, 24-27
- 21 "Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
- 24 "Every one then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rock;
- 25 and the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.
- 26 And every one who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house upon the sand;
- 27 and the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell; and great was the fall of it."
- Japans Bishops promote peace and the abolition of nuclear weapons
- Gospel calls us to trusting abandonment to God
- Pope Francis calls for world free of nuclear weapons
- Pope at Angelus: Appeal for solidarity with Lebanon
- Bishop Takami recounts the aftermath of the atomic bombing
- Vatican Museums: Beauty that Unites! 61
- Church and state in Panama working together to fight Covid-19