Readings of the Day: Thursday of the First Week in Lent
The LORD will fulfil his purpose for me; thy steadfast love, O LORD, endures for ever. Do not forsake the work of thy hands.
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
Esther 14:1, 3-5, 12-14
- 1 And Esther the queen, seized with deathly anxiety, fled to the Lord;
- 3 And she prayed to the Lord God of Israel, and said: "O my Lord, thou only art our King; help me, who am alone and have no helper but thee,
- 4 for my danger is in my hand.
- 5 Ever since I was born I have heard in the tribe of my family that thou, O Lord, didst take Israel out of all the nations, and our fathers from among all their ancestors, for an everlasting inheritance, and that thou didst do for them all that thou didst promise.
- 12 Remember, O Lord; make thyself known in this time of our affliction, and give me courage, O King of the gods and Master of all dominion!
- 13 Put eloquent speech in my mouth before the lion, and turn his heart to hate the man who is fighting against us, so that there may be an end of him and those who agree with him.
- 14 But save us by thy hand, and help me, who am alone and have no helper but thee, O Lord.
Psalms 138:1-3, 7-8
Response: Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
- 1 I give thee thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart; before the gods I sing thy praise;
- 2 I bow down toward thy holy temple and give thanks to thy name for thy steadfast love and thy faithfulness; for thou hast exalted above everything thy name and thy word. R
- 3 On the day I called, thou didst answer me, my strength of soul thou didst increase.
- 7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou dost preserve my life; thou dost stretch out thy hand against the wrath of my enemies, and thy right hand delivers me. R
- 8 The LORD will fulfil his purpose for me; thy steadfast love, O LORD, endures for ever. Do not forsake the work of thy hands. R
Gospel for the day
- 7 "Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
- 8 For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
- 9 Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone?
- 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent?
- 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
- 12 So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
- Safeguarding during Covid-19: A Victims Perspective
- Why we pray during a global pandemic
- Russia admits higher Covid-19 deathtoll amid journalist detentions
- Covid-19 and the future of the European economy
- Covid-19: Masses resume in Timor-Leste churches
- Venezuelan Bishops appeal for transformative national plan
- Webinars aim to strengthen Churchs safeguarding best practices