Readings of the day: Thursday of the Fifth Week in Ordinary Time
Blessed are they who observe justice, who do righteousness at all times! Remember me, O LORD, when thou showest favor to thy people; help me when thou deliverest them;
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
1 Kings 11:4-13
- 4 For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods; and his heart was not wholly true to the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.
- 5 For Solomon went after Ash'toreth the goddess of the Sido'nians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.
- 6 So Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, and did not wholly follow the LORD, as David his father had done.
- 7 Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Molech the abomination of the Ammonites, on the mountain east of Jerusalem.
- 8 And so he did for all his foreign wives, who burned incense and sacrificed to their gods.
- 9 And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice,
- 10 and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; but he did not keep what the LORD commanded.
- 11 Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, "Since this has been your mind and you have not kept my covenant and my statutes which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.
- 12 Yet for the sake of David your father I will not do it in your days, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son.
- 13 However I will not tear away all the kingdom; but I will give one tribe to your son, for the sake of David my servant and for the sake of Jerusalem which I have chosen."
Psalms 106:3-4, 35-37, 40
Response: Remember us, O Lord, as you favor your people.
- 3 Blessed are they who observe justice, who do righteousness at all times!
- 4 Remember me, O LORD, when thou showest favor to thy people; help me when thou deliverest them; R
- 35 but they mingled with the nations and learned to do as they did.
- 36 They served their idols, which became a snare to them. R
- 37 They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to the demons;
- 40 Then the anger of the LORD was kindled against his people, and he abhorred his heritage; R
Gospel for the day
- 24 And from there he arose and went away to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And he entered a house, and would not have any one know it; yet he could not be hid.
- 25 But immediately a woman, whose little daughter was possessed by an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell down at his feet.
- 26 Now the woman was a Greek, a Syrophoeni'cian by birth. And she begged him to cast the demon out of her daughter.
- 27 And he said to her, "Let the children first be fed, for it is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."
- 28 But she answered him, "Yes, Lord; yet even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs."
- 29 And he said to her, "For this saying you may go your way; the demon has left your daughter."
- 30 And she went home, and found the child lying in bed, and the demon gone.
- Saudi jet shot down in Yemen
- Haiti: 15 children die in orphanage fire
- Philippine archdiocese Walk for Life and pray against spread of COVID-19
- Next Synod of Bishops in 2022; theme to be decided by Pope
- Pope receives Å½eljko KomÅ¡iÄ‡ of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Call for an end to violence against children in Myanmar
- Pope: Vatican legislative reforms are part of the mission of the Church