Readings of the day: Thursday after Epiphany
And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee, and a report concerning him went out through all the surrounding country.
Reading for the day
Get the world's most loved and largest selling Catholic Missal praying and living the Eucharist in India. Fabulous Offer: 36 Issues for just Rs 2100/-
Reading for the day
1 John 4:19--5:4
- 19 We love, because he first loved us.
- 20 If any one says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
- 21 And this commandment we have from him, that he who loves God should love his brother also.
- 1 Every one who believes that Jesus is the Christ is a child of God, and every one who loves the parent loves the child.
- 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.
- 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
- 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that overcomes the world, our faith.
Psalms 72:2, 14-15, 17
Response: Lord, every nation on earth will adore you.
- 1 Give the king thy justice, O God, and thy righteousness to the royal son!
- 13 He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy. R
- 14 From oppression and violence he redeems their life; and precious is their blood in his sight.
- 16 May there be abundance of grain in the land; on the tops of the mountains may it wave; may its fruit be like Lebanon; and may men blossom forth from the cities like the grass of the field! R
Gospel for the day
- 14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee, and a report concerning him went out through all the surrounding country.
- 15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.
- 16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up; and he went to the synagogue, as his custom was, on the sabbath day. And he stood up to read;
- 17 and there was given to him the book of the prophet Isaiah. He opened the book and found the place where it was written,
- 18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
- 19 to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."
- 20 And he closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him.
- 21 And he began to say to them, "Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."
- 22 And all spoke well of him, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth; and they said, "Is not this Joseph's son?"
- More than 1 million people face hunger as rains fail in Kenya
- Holy See: Church is committed to integral ecology of indigenous people
- Wanted: Joseph
- Pope at Audience: God seeks each one of us personally
- Pope urges support for victims of Cyclone Idai in southeast Africa
- Pope General Audience: English Summary
- New Video on the Life of Irish Missionary, Sr. Dr.Miriam Duggan FMSA