Reading for the Day
- 15 "See, I have set before you this day life and good, death and evil.
- 16 If you obey the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you this day, by loving the LORD your God, by walking in his ways, and by keeping his commandments and his statutes and his ordinances, then you shall live and multiply, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
- 17 But if your heart turns away, and you will not hear, but are drawn away to worship other gods and serve them,
- 18 I declare to you this day, that you shall perish; you shall not live long in the land which you are going over the Jordan to enter and possess.
- 19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live,
- 20 loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice, and cleaving to him; for that means life to you and length of days, that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them."
Psalms 1:1-4, 6
Response: Blessed are they who hope in the Lord.
- 1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
- 2 but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.R
- 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.R
- 4 The wicked are not so, but are like chaff which the wind drives away.
- 6 for the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.R
Gospel for the Day
- 22 saying, "The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised."
- 23 And he said to all, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
- 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake, he will save it.
- 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?
- Muslim Council of Elders on Pope Francis visit to Iraq
- Dreams for the future: Pope meets with Scholas Occurentes youth
- Pope to Iraqi clergy, religious: Violence and hate are incompatible with religion
- Pope Francis: Expressing his closeness with the Iraqi people
- Iraqi youth in joyful expectation of Pope Francis
- Cardinal Cantalamessa: Jesus is holy and makes us holy
- Pope urges Iraqi authorities to rebuild society on fraternal solidarity