Readings of the Day: Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
Reading for the Day
Reading for the Day
2 Kings 4:8-11, 14-16
- 8 One day Eli'sha went on to Shunem, where a wealthy woman lived, who urged him to eat some food. So whenever he passed that way, he would turn in there to eat food.
- 9 And she said to her husband, "Behold now, I perceive that this is a holy man of God, who is continually passing our way.
- 10 Let us make a small roof chamber with walls, and put there for him a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp, so that whenever he comes to us, he can go in there."
- 11 One day he came there, and he turned into the chamber and rested there.
- 14 And he said, "What then is to be done for her?" Geha'zi answered, "Well, she has no son, and her husband is old."
- 15 He said, "Call her." And when he had called her, she stood in the doorway.
- 16 And he said, "At this season, when the time comes round, you shall embrace a son." And she said, "No, my lord, O man of God; do not lie to your maidservant."
Psalms 89:2-3, 16-19
Response: For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
- 1 I will sing of thy steadfast love, O LORD, for ever; with my mouth I will proclaim thy faithfulness to all generations.
- 2 For thy steadfast love was established for ever, thy faithfulness is firm as the heavens. R
- 15 Blessed are the people who know the festal shout, who walk, O LORD, in the light of thy countenance,
- 16 who exult in thy name all the day, and extol thy righteousness. R
- 17 For thou art the glory of their strength; by thy favor our horn is exalted.
- 18 For our shield belongs to the LORD, our king to the Holy One of Israel. R
Second Reading for the Day
Romans 6:3-4, 8-11
- 3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
- 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
- 8 But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him.
- 9 For we know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him.
- 10 The death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God.
- 11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
Gospel for the Day
- 37 He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;
- 38 and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
- 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it.
- 40 "He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives him who sent me.
- 41 He who receives a prophet because he is a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward, and he who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.
- 42 And whoever gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."
- COVID-19 financial strain shuts down Ivory Coasts Radio Nationale Catholique
- Archbishop Naumann: Women are the second victims of abortion
- Bishops call for an end to corporate abuse
- Covid-19: Indian Catholic hospital shut after 12 nuns are infected
- Cardinal Ravasi recalls Ennio Morricone as a man of faith
- Remembering Ennio Morricone and his sense of the Sacred
- Covid-19: Camillian priest appeals for better-equipped hospitals in Burkina Faso