Readings of the Day: The Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ
I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of the Lord.
Reading for the Day
- 3 Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD and all the ordinances; and all the people answered with one voice, and said, "All the words which the LORD has spoken we will do."
- 4 And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD. And he rose early in the morning, and built an altar at the foot of the mountain, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.
- 5 And he sent young men of the people of Israel, who offered burnt offerings and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen to the LORD.
- 6 And Moses took half of the blood and put it in basins, and half of the blood he threw against the altar.
- 7 Then he took the book of the covenant, and read it in the hearing of the people; and they said, "All that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient."
- 8 And Moses took the blood and threw it upon the people, and said, "Behold the blood of the covenant which the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words."
Psalms 116(115):12-13, 15-18
Response: I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of the Lord.
- 12 What shall I render to the LORD for all his bounty to me?
- 13 I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD, R
- 15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
- 16 O LORD, I am thy servant; I am thy servant, the son of thy handmaid. Thou hast loosed my bonds. R
- 17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the LORD. R
Second reading for the Day
- 11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation)
- 12 he entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.
- 13 For if the sprinkling of defiled persons with the blood of goats and bulls and with the ashes of a heifer sanctifies for the purification of the flesh,
- 14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify your conscience from dead works to serve the living God.
- 15 Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred which redeems them from the transgressions under the first covenant.
- 18 I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people,
Gospel for the Day
Mark 14:12-16, 22-26
- 12 And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the passover lamb, his disciples said to him, "Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the passover?"
- 13 And he sent two of his disciples, and said to them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him,
- 14 and wherever he enters, say to the householder, `The Teacher says, Where is my guest room, where I am to eat the passover with my disciples?'
- 15 And he will show you a large upper room furnished and ready; there prepare for us."
- 16 And the disciples set out and went to the city, and found it as he had told them; and they prepared the passover.
- 22 And as they were eating, he took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them, and said, "Take; this is my body."
- 23 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it.
- 24 And he said to them, "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.
- 25 Truly, I say to you, I shall not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."
- 26 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
- Covid-19: UK records biggest daily rise in cases
- Popes charity reaches out again to Covid-hit countries
- Zambias first President, Kenneth Kaunda, has died.
- UN: desertification and drought hit 3.2 billion people
- UNICEF calls for investment in climate-resilient water infrastructure in Africa
- Another Catholic priest arrested by Myanmar military
- COP26: Faith and Science event to highlight efforts against climate crisis