Readings of the day: The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord
Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him, he will bring forth justice to the nations.
Readings of the Day
Isaiah 42:1-4, 6-7
- 1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him, he will bring forth justice to the nations.
- 2 He will not cry or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street;
- 3 a bruised reed he will not break, and a dimly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice.
- 4 He will not fail or be discouraged till he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his law.
- 6 "I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you; I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations,
- 7 to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.
Psalms 29:1-4, 3, 9-10
Response: The Lord will bless his people with peace.
- 1 Ascribe to the LORD, O heavenly beings, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
- 2 Ascribe to the LORD the glory of his name; worship the LORD in holy array. R
- 3 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters; the God of glory thunders, the LORD, upon many waters.
- 4 The voice of the LORD is powerful, the voice of the LORD is full of majesty. R
- 9 The voice of the LORD makes the oaks to whirl, and strips the forests bare; and in his temple all cry, "Glory!"
- 10 The LORD sits enthroned over the flood; the LORD sits enthroned as king for ever. R
Second Reading for the Day
- 34 And Peter opened his mouth and said: "Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality,
- 35 but in every nation any one who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.
- 36 You know the word which he sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace by Jesus Christ (he is Lord of all),
- 37 the word which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism which John preached:
- 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power; how he went about doing good and healing all that were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.
Gospel For the Day
- 13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him.
- 14 John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"
- 15 But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now; for thus it is fitting for us to fulfil all righteousness." Then he consented.
- 16 And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on him;
- 17 and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."
- Another step towards sainthood for Jérôme Lejeune, seven others
- Week of Prayer for Christian Unity – Biblical reflections Day 4
- Pope deplores Iraq bomb attacks and prays for the victims
- Bishops Co-ordination group urges strengthened solidarity with people of Holy Land
- EU Bishops: Mediterranean should be place of peaceful encounter
- Burkina Faso: Frantic search for Father Rodrigue Sanon
- UK Bishops ask gvt not to withdraw life support for comatose Polish citizen