Readings of the Day: Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist
O LORD, thou hast searched me and known me! Thou knowest when I sit down and when I rise up; thou discernest my thoughts from afar.
Reading for the Day
Reading for the Day
- 1 Listen to me, O coastlands, and hearken, you peoples from afar. The LORD called me from the womb, from the body of my mother he named my name.
- 2 He made my mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me away.
- 3 And he said to me, "You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified."
- 4 But I said, "I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my right is with the LORD, and my recompense with my God."
- 5 And now the LORD says, who formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him, and that Israel might be gathered to him, for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD, and my God has become my strength --
- 6 he says: "It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth."
Psalms 139:1-3, 13-15
Response: I praise you, for I am wonderfully made.
- 1 O LORD, thou hast searched me and known me!
- 2 Thou knowest when I sit down and when I rise up; thou discernest my thoughts from afar. R
- 3 Thou searchest out my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
- 13 For thou didst form my inward parts, thou didst knit me together in my mother's womb. R
- 14 I praise thee, for thou art fearful and wonderful. Wonderful are thy works! Thou knowest me right well;
- 15 my frame was not hidden from thee, when I was being made in secret, intricately wrought in the depths of the earth. R
Second Reading for the Day
- 22 And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king; of whom he testified and said, `I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.'
- 23 Of this man's posterity God has brought to Israel a Savior, Jesus, as he promised.
- 24 Before his coming John had preached a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.
- 25 And as John was finishing his course, he said, `What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. No, but after me one is coming, the sandals of whose feet I am not worthy to untie.'
- 26 "Brethren, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you that fear God, to us has been sent the message of this salvation.
Gospel for the Day
Luke 1:57-66, 80
- 57 Now the time came for Elizabeth to be delivered, and she gave birth to a son.
- 58 And her neighbors and kinsfolk heard that the Lord had shown great mercy to her, and they rejoiced with her.
- 59 And on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they would have named him Zechari'ah after his father,
- 60 but his mother said, "Not so; he shall be called John."
- 61 And they said to her, "None of your kindred is called by this name."
- 62 And they made signs to his father, inquiring what he would have him called.
- 63 And he asked for a writing tablet, and wrote, "His name is John." And they all marveled.
- 64 And immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue loosed, and he spoke, blessing God.
- 65 And fear came on all their neighbors. And all these things were talked about through all the hill country of Judea;
- 66 and all who heard them laid them up in their hearts, saying, "What then will this child be?" For the hand of the Lord was with him.
- 80 And the child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the wilderness till the day of his manifestation to Israel.
- Nigerian Bishops salute COVID-19 frontline workers
- Myanmars faith leaders urge country to seek the good of all
- Churches in Scotland reopen for communal worship on 15 July
- Pope Francis donates ventilator to Brazil hospital
- Covid-19: UN warns pandemic could push 130 million into hunger
- US Bishops call for prayers ahead of anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings
- The "Pope Francis" Hospital Ship joins the fight against Covid-19