Readings of the Day: Solemnity of Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation."
Reading for the Day
Hosea 11:1, 3-4, 8-9
- 1 When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.
- 3 Yet it was I who taught E'phraim to walk, I took them up in my arms; but they did not know that I healed them.
- 4 I led them with cords of compassion, with the bands of love, and I became to them as one, who eases the yoke on their jaws, and I bent down to them and fed them.
- 8 How can I give you up, O E'phraim! How can I hand you over, O Israel! How can I make you like Admah! How can I treat you like Zeboi'im! My heart recoils within me, my compassion grows warm and tender.
- 9 I will not execute my fierce anger, I will not again destroy E'phraim; for I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst, and I will not come to destroy.
Response: With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.
- 2 "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation." R
- 3 With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.
- 4 And you will say in that day: "Give thanks to the LORD, call upon his name; make known his deeds among the nations, proclaim that his name is exalted. R
- 5 "Sing praises to the LORD, for he has done gloriously; let this be known in all the earth.
- 6 Shout, and sing for joy, O inhabitant of Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel." R
Second Reading for the Day
Ephesians 3:8-12, 14-19
- 8 To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,
- 9 and to make all men see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things;
- 10 that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places.
- 11 This was according to the eternal purpose which he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord,
- 12 in whom we have boldness and confidence of access through our faith in him.
- 14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,
- 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named,
- 16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with might through his Spirit in the inner man,
- 17 and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
- 18 may have power to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
- 19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fulness of God.
Gospel for the Day
- 31 Since it was the day of Preparation, in order to prevent the bodies from remaining on the cross on the sabbath (for that sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
- 32 So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with him;
- 33 but when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.
- 34 But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water.
- 35 He who saw it has borne witness -- his testimony is true, and he knows that he tells the truth -- that you also may believe.
- 36 For these things took place that the scripture might be fulfilled, "Not a bone of him shall be broken."
- 37 And again another scripture says, "They shall look on him whom they have pierced."
- Zambias first President, Kenneth Kaunda, has died.
- UN: desertification and drought hit 3.2 billion people
- UNICEF calls for investment in climate-resilient water infrastructure in Africa
- Another Catholic priest arrested by Myanmar military
- COP26: Faith and Science event to highlight efforts against climate crisis
- Holy See: Combat trafficking in persons through culture of respect, dignity
- Pope names ecclesiastical assistant for Dicastery for Communication