Readings of the Day: Monday of the Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Wondrously show thy steadfast love, O savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at thy right hand.
Reading for the Day
- 6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
- 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Whence have you come?" Satan answered the LORD, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it."
- 8 And the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?"
- 9 Then Satan answered the LORD, "Does Job fear God for nought?
- 10 Hast thou not put a hedge about him and his house and all that he has, on every side? Thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.
- 11 But put forth thy hand now, and touch all that he has, and he will curse thee to thy face."
- 12 And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only upon himself do not put forth your hand." So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
- 13 Now there was a day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house;
- 14 and there came a messenger to Job, and said, "The oxen were plowing and the asses feeding beside them;
- 15 and the Sabe'ans fell upon them and took them, and slew the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you."
- 16 While he was yet speaking, there came another, and said, "The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants, and consumed them; and I alone have escaped to tell you."
- 17 While he was yet speaking, there came another, and said, "The Chalde'ans formed three companies, and made a raid upon the camels and took them, and slew the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you."
- 18 While he was yet speaking, there came another, and said, "Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house;
- 19 and behold, a great wind came across the wilderness, and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young people, and they are dead; and I alone have escaped to tell you."
- 20 Then Job arose, and rent his robe, and shaved his head, and fell upon the ground, and worshiped.
- 21 And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return; the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."
- 22 In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.
Psalms 17:1-3, 6-7
Response: Incline your ear to me and hear my word.
- 1 Hear a just cause, O LORD; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!
- 2 From thee let my vindication come! Let thy eyes see the right! R
- 3 If thou triest my heart, if thou visitest me by night, if thou testest me, thou wilt find no wickedness in me; my mouth does not transgress.
- 6 I call upon thee, for thou wilt answer me, O God; incline thy ear to me, hear my words. R
- 7 Wondrously show thy steadfast love, O savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at thy right hand.
Gospel for the Day
- 46 And an argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest.
- 47 But when Jesus perceived the thought of their hearts, he took a child and put him by his side,
- 48 and said to them, "Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me; for he who is least among you all is the one who is great."
- 49 John answered, "Master, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he does not follow with us."
- 50 But Jesus said to him, "Do not forbid him; for he that is not against you is for you."
- Pope: The Church, world need Marys motherhood and womanhood
- Pope appoints Archbishop Pizzaballa Patriarch of Jerusalem
- Winner finally announced in Bolivian presidential election
- Europe struggles to contain coronavirus infections
- Irish Bishop encourages care for elderly persons amid Covid-19 crisis
- Zayed Award judging panel begins search for 2021 winner
- Nigeria: Archbishop dares to hope for change