Readings of the day: Monday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time
Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.
Reading for the day
Get the world's most loved and largest selling Catholic Missal praying and living the Eucharist in India. Fabulous Offer: 36 Issues for just Rs 2,880/-
Reading for the day
- 16 Then the men set out from there, and they looked toward Sodom; and Abraham went with them to set them on their way.
- 17 The LORD said, "Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do,
- 18 seeing that Abraham shall become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall bless themselves by him?
- 19 No, for I have chosen him, that he may charge his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice; so that the LORD may bring to Abraham what he has promised him."
- 20 Then the LORD said, "Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomor'rah is great and their sin is very grave,
- 21 I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry which has come to me; and if not, I will know."
- 22 So the men turned from there, and went toward Sodom; but Abraham still stood before the LORD.
- 23 Then Abraham drew near, and said, "Wilt thou indeed destroy the righteous with the wicked?
- 24 Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; wilt thou then destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous who are in it?
- 25 Far be it from thee to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from thee! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"
- 26 And the LORD said, "If I find at Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I will spare the whole place for their sake."
- 27 Abraham answered, "Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes.
- 28 Suppose five of the fifty righteous are lacking? Wilt thou destroy the whole city for lack of five?" And he said, "I will not destroy it if I find forty-five there."
- 29 Again he spoke to him, and said, "Suppose forty are found there." He answered, "For the sake of forty I will not do it."
- 30 Then he said, "Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak. Suppose thirty are found there." He answered, "I will not do it, if I find thirty there."
- 31 He said, "Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord. Suppose twenty are found there." He answered, "For the sake of twenty I will not destroy it."
- 32 Then he said, "Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak again but this once. Suppose ten are found there." He answered, "For the sake of ten I will not destroy it."
- 33 And the LORD went his way, when he had finished speaking to Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place.
Psalms 103:1-4, 8-11
Response: The Lord is kind and merciful.
- 1 Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless his holy name!
- 2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, R
- 3 who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases,
- 4 who redeems your life from the Pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, R
- 8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
- 9 He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger for ever. R
- 10 He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor requite us according to our iniquities.
- 11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; R
Gospel for the day
- 18 Now when Jesus saw great crowds around him, he gave orders to go over to the other side.
- 19 And a scribe came up and said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."
- 20 And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."
- 21 Another of the disciples said to him, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
- 22 But Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."
- Pope at Angelus: Love is always demanding
- Pope Francis on Amazon: That forest lung is vital for our planet
- â€œReligions for Peaceâ€ pledge concrete actions for common good of mankind
- Cardinal Hummes: stop the predators of the Amazonian rain forest
- UN calls for eliminating violence against religion
- Holy See-Vietnam Joint Working Group concludes talks
- Indonesia bishop urges calm in Papua, denounces racism