Readings of the Day: Monday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time
The Mighty One, God the LORD, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Reading for the Day
Genesis 4:1-15, 25
- 1 Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, "I have gotten a man with the help of the LORD."
- 2 And again, she bore his brother Abel. Now Abel was a keeper of sheep, and Cain a tiller of the ground.
- 3 In the course of time Cain brought to the LORD an offering of the fruit of the ground,
- 4 and Abel brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the LORD had regard for Abel and his offering,
- 5 but for Cain and his offering he had no regard. So Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.
- 6 The LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry, and why has your countenance fallen?
- 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is couching at the door; its desire is for you, but you must master it."
- 8 Cain said to Abel his brother, "Let us go out to the field." And when they were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel, and killed him.
- 9 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is Abel your brother?" He said, "I do not know; am I my brother's keeper?"
- 10 And the LORD said, "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood is crying to me from the ground.
- 11 And now you are cursed from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand.
- 12 When you till the ground, it shall no longer yield to you its strength; you shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth."
- 13 Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment is greater than I can bear.
- 14 Behold, thou hast driven me this day away from the ground; and from thy face I shall be hidden; and I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will slay me."
- 15 Then the LORD said to him, "Not so! If any one slays Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold." And the LORD put a mark on Cain, lest any who came upon him should kill him.
- 25 And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, "God has appointed for me another child instead of Abel, for Cain slew him."
Psalms 50:1, 8, 16-17, 20-21
Response: Offer to God a sacrifice of praise.
- 1 The Mighty One, God the LORD, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
- 8 I do not reprove you for your sacrifices; your burnt offerings are continually before me. R
- 16 But to the wicked God says: "What right have you to recite my statutes, or take my covenant on your lips?
- 17 For you hate discipline, and you cast my words behind you.
- 20 You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother's son. R
- 21 These things you have done and I have been silent; you thought that I was one like yourself. But now I rebuke you, and lay the charge before you. R
Gospel for the Day
- 11 The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, seeking from him a sign from heaven, to test him.
- 12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and said, "Why does this generation seek a sign? Truly, I say to you, no sign shall be given to this generation."
- 13 And he left them, and getting into the boat again he departed to the other side.
- Abp of Birmingham: Popes Iraq visit an impetus for dialogue and hope
- Pope to journalists on flight: "Fraternity is the way forward"
- Pope sends greetings of peace during flight from Iraq
- Pope Francis thanks Our Lady upon return from Iraq visit
- Senegal: Protest erupt following arrest of opposition figure
- Munitions blast leaves trail of destruction in Equatorial Guinea city
- Pope bids farewell to Iraq after a historic visit