Readings of the day: Monday of the First Week of Lent
The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
First Reading for the day
First Reading for the day
Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18
- 1 And the LORD said to Moses,
- 2 "Say to all the congregation of the people of Israel, You shall be holy; for I the LORD your God am holy.
- 11 "You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to one another.
- 12 And you shall not swear by my name falsely, and so profane the name of your God: I am the LORD.
- 13 "You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired servant shall not remain with you all night until the morning.
- 14 You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall fear your God: I am the LORD.
- 15 "You shall do no injustice in judgment; you shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor.
- 16 You shall not go up and down as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand forth against the life of your neighbor: I am the LORD.
- 17 "You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason with your neighbor, lest you bear sin because of him.
- 18 You shall not take vengeance or bear any grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.
Psalms 19:8-10, 15
Response: Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life.
- 7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;
- 8 the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; R
- 9 the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever; the ordinances of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether.
- 14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. R
Gospel for the day
- 31 "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.
- 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats,
- 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left.
- 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
- 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,
- 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'
- 37 Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink?
- 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee?
- 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?'
- 40 And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.'
- 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels;
- 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
- 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.'
- 44 Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?'
- 45 Then he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.'
- 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
- Safeguarding during Covid-19: A Victims Perspective
- Why we pray during a global pandemic
- Russia admits higher Covid-19 deathtoll amid journalist detentions
- Covid-19 and the future of the European economy
- Covid-19: Masses resume in Timor-Leste churches
- Venezuelan Bishops appeal for transformative national plan
- Webinars aim to strengthen Churchs safeguarding best practices