Readings of the Day: Monday in the Octave of Easter
Preserve me, O God, for in thee I take refuge.I say to the LORD, "Thou art my Lord; I have no good apart from thee.
Reading for the Day
Acts 2:14, 22-33
- 14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words.
- 22 "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs which God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know --
- 23 this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.
- 24 But God raised him up, having loosed the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.
- 25 For David says concerning him, `I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
- 26 therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced; moreover my flesh will dwell in hope.
- 27 For thou wilt not abandon my soul to Hades, nor let thy Holy One see corruption.
- 28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou wilt make me full of gladness with thy presence.'
- 29 "Brethren, I may say to you confidently of the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
- 30 Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants upon his throne,
- 31 he foresaw and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.
- 32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses.
- 33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this which you see and hear.
Psalms 16:1-2, 5, 7-11
Response: Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope. Or: Alleluia.
- 1 Preserve me, O God, for in thee I take refuge.
- 2 I say to the LORD, "Thou art my Lord; I have no good apart from thee." R
- 5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; thou holdest my lot.
- 7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. R
- 8 I keep the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
- 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body also dwells secure. R
- 10 For thou dost not give me up to Sheol, or let thy godly one see the Pit.
- 11 Thou dost show me the path of life; in thy presence there is fulness of joy, in thy right hand are pleasures for evermore. R
Gospel for the Day
- 8 So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples.
- 9 And behold, Jesus met them and said, "Hail!" And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him.
- 10 Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brethren to go to Galilee, and there they will see me."
- 11 While they were going, behold, some of the guard went into the city and told the chief priests all that had taken place.
- 12 And when they had assembled with the elders and taken counsel, they gave a sum of money to the soldiers
- 13 and said, "Tell people, `His disciples came by night and stole him away while we were asleep.'
- 14 And if this comes to the governor's ears, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble."
- 15 So they took the money and did as they were directed; and this story has been spread among the Jews to this day.
- Pope appeals for peace and reconciliation in eastern Ukraine
- Pope at Regina Coeli: Christianity is closeness, contact, care and joy
- Pope and UN refugee agency chief discuss people on the move
- German Ecumenical Week for Life focuses on "Life when Dying"
- Vatican wishes the “explosion of pure joy” of circus will soon return
- Covid-crisis exacerbates conditions of poverty in Haiti
- UN envoy: diplomatic unity key to help end Yemen war