Readings of the Day: Memorial of the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The LORD kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up. The LORD makes poor and makes rich; he brings low, he also exalts
Reading for the Day
- 9 Their descendants shall be known among the nations, and their offspring in the midst of the peoples; all who see them shall acknowledge them, that they are a people whom the LORD has blessed.
- 10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall exult in my God; for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation, he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
- 11 For as the earth brings forth its shoots, and as a garden causes what is sown in it to spring up, so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.
1 Samuel 2:1, 4-8
Response: My heart rejoices in the Lord, my Saviour.
- 1 Hannah also prayed and said, "My heart exults in the LORD; my strength is exalted in the LORD. My mouth derides my enemies, because I rejoice in thy salvation. R
- 4 The bows of the mighty are broken, but the feeble gird on strength.
- 5 Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread, but those who were hungry have ceased to hunger. The barren has borne seven, but she who has many children is forlorn. R
- 6 The LORD kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up.
- 7 The LORD makes poor and makes rich; he brings low, he also exalts. R
- 8 He raises up the poor from the dust; he lifts the needy from the ash heap, to make them sit with princes and inherit a seat of honor. For the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and on them he has set the world. R
Gospel for the Day
- 41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the Passover.
- 42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom;
- 43 and when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents did not know it,
- 44 but supposing him to be in the company they went a day's journey, and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintances;
- 45 and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking him.
- 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions;
- 47 and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.
- 48 And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously."
- 49 And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"
- 50 And they did not understand the saying which he spoke to them.
- 51 And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.
- Pope at Audience: There is only one Gospel
- Myanmar Church invites all religions to national prayer campaign
- DR Congo: Vandals target residence of Kinshasas Archbishop
- Pope Francis to resume General Audiences in Paul VI Hall
- Let us pray for parish priests everywhere
- Saint John Mary Vianney | Saint of the Day
- Readings of the day: Wednesday of the Eighteenth Week in Ordinary Time