Readings of the Day: Memorial of St. Joseph the Worker
All the ends of the earth have seen the saving power of God
Reading for the Day
- 44 The next sabbath almost the whole city gathered together to hear the word of God.
- 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with jealousy, and contradicted what was spoken by Paul, and reviled him.
- 46 And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, "It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles.
- 47 For so the Lord has commanded us, saying, `I have set you to be a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the uttermost parts of the earth.'"
- 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of God; and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.
- 49 And the word of the Lord spread throughout all the region.
- 50 But the Jews incited the devout women of high standing and the leading men of the city, and stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and drove them out of their district.
- 51 But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and went to Ico'nium.
- 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
Response: All the ends of the earth have seen the saving power of God
- 1 O sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things! His right hand and his holy arm have gotten him victory. R
- 2 The LORD has made known his victory, he has revealed his vindication in the sight of the nations.
- 3 He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness to the house of Israel. R
All the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.
- 4 Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises! R
Gospel for the Day
- 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him."
- 8 Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied."
- 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, `Show us the Father'?
- 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.
- 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves.
- 12 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father.
- 13 Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son;
- 14 if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.
- The ministry of catechist: A service with ancient roots that looks to the future
- Bishops of Britain and Scotland call for protection of vulnerable migrants
- Eight Killed In Russian School Shooting
- Jerusalem: Patriarchs and Heads of Churches appeal for an end to violence
- Afghanistan: Taliban announce three-day ceasefire for Muslim holiday
- Pope establishes ministry of catechist
- Over 1,000 migrants arrive on Italian island