Readings of the Day: Memorial of Saint Martha
God is my refuge on the day of distress.
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
Jeremiah 15:10, 16-21
- 10 Woe is me, my mother, that you bore me, a man of strife and contention to the whole land! I have not lent, nor have I borrowed, yet all of them curse me.
- 16 Thy words were found, and I ate them, and thy words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by thy name, O LORD, God of hosts.
- 17 I did not sit in the company of merrymakers, nor did I rejoice; I sat alone, because thy hand was upon me, for thou hadst filled me with indignation.
- 18 Why is my pain unceasing, my wound incurable, refusing to be healed? Wilt thou be to me like a deceitful brook, like waters that fail?
- 19 Therefore thus says the LORD: "If you return, I will restore you, and you shall stand before me. If you utter what is precious, and not what is worthless, you shall be as my mouth. They shall turn to you, but you shall not turn to them.
- 20 And I will make you to this people a fortified wall of bronze; they will fight against you, but they shall not prevail over you, for I am with you to save you and deliver you, says the LORD.
- 21 I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked, and redeem you from the grasp of the ruthless."
Psalms 59:2-4, 10-11, 17-18
Response: God is my refuge on the day of distress.
- 1 Deliver me from my enemies, O my God, protect me from those who rise up against me,
- 2 deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men. R
- 3 For, lo, they lie in wait for my life; fierce men band themselves against me. For no transgression or sin of mine, O LORD, R
- 9 O my Strength, I will sing praises to thee; for thou, O God, art my fortress.
- 10 My God in his steadfast love will meet me; my God will let me look in triumph on my enemies. R
- 16 But I will sing of thy might; I will sing aloud of thy steadfast love in the morning. For thou hast been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. R
- 17 O my Strength, I will sing praises to thee, for thou, O God, art my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love. R
Gospel for the day
- 19 and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them concerning their brother.
- 20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, while Mary sat in the house.
- 21 Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.
- 22 And even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you."
- 23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
- 24 Martha said to him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
- 25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,
- 26 and whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"
- 27 She said to him, "Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, he who is coming into the world."
- 38 Now as they went on their way, he entered a village; and a woman named Martha received him into her house.
- 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching.
- 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving; and she went to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me."
- 41 But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things;
- 42 one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her."
- Japan marks 75 years since atomic bombing of Hiroshima
- CDF: Baptisms conferred with arbitrarily modified formulas are not valid
- Pope appoints new members to Council for the Economy
- Pope expresses closeness to Japan on 75th anniversary of Hiroshima bombing
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki: 75 anni after the nuclear holocaust
- EU bishops express closeness with Lebanese people after deadly blasts
- Caritas launches emergency plan to assist victims of Beirut explosion