Readings of the day: Memorial of Saint Gregory the Great
One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
1 Thessalonians 5:1-6, 9-11
- 1 But as to the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need to have anything written to you.
- 2 For you yourselves know well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
- 3 When people say, "There is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them as travail comes upon a woman with child, and there will be no escape.
- 4 But you are not in darkness, brethren, for that day to surprise you like a thief.
- 5 For you are all sons of light and sons of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness.
- 6 So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober.
- 9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
- 10 who died for us so that whether we wake or sleep we might live with him.
- 11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
Psalms 27:1, 4, 13-14
Response: I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
- 1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? R
- 4 One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. R
- 13 I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living!
- 14 Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; yea, wait for the LORD! R
Gospel for the day
- 31 And he went down to Caper'na-um, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the sabbath;
- 32 and they were astonished at his teaching, for his word was with authority.
- 33 And in the synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an unclean demon; and he cried out with a loud voice,
- 34 "Ah! What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God."
- 35 But Jesus rebuked him, saying, "Be silent, and come out of him!" And when the demon had thrown him down in the midst, he came out of him, having done him no harm.
- 36 And they were all amazed and said to one another, "What is this word? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out."
- 37 And reports of him went out into every place in the surrounding region.
- Abp. Lori: Fr McGivney was a Pope Francis priest before there was a Pope Francis
- Covid-19: UN says protecting refugees and migrants benefits all
- New charges brought in George Floyd killing as protests continue
- UN: International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression
- Philippine Christian leaders unite against new anti-terrorism law
- Northern Ireland Assembly votes to reject Westminster abortion laws
- Ghana: With so many Christians in government, why does corruption persist?