Readings of the Day: Friday of the Ninth Week in Ordinary Time
Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul! Happy is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God
Reading for the Day
- 5 Now Anna sat looking intently down the road for her son.
- 6 And she caught sight of him coming, and said to his father, "Behold, your son is coming, and so is the man who went with him!"
- 7 Raphael said, "I know, Tobias, that your father will open his eyes.
- 8 You therefore must anoint his eyes with the gall; and when they smart he will rub them, and will cause the white films to fall away, and he will see you."
- 9 Then Anna ran to meet them, and embraced her son, and said to him, "I have seen you, my child; now I am ready to die." And they both wept.
- 10 Tobit started toward the door, and stumbled. But his son ran to him
- 11 and took hold of his father, and he sprinkled the gall upon his father's eyes, saying, "Be of good cheer, father."
- 12 And when his eyes began to smart he rubbed them,
- 13 and the white films scaled off from the corners of his eyes.
- 14 Then he saw his son and embraced him, and he wept and said, "Blessed art thou, O God, and blessed is thy name for ever, and blessed are all thy holy angels.
- 15 For thou hast afflicted me, but thou hast had mercy upon me; here I see my son Tobias!" And his son went in rejoicing, and he reported to his father the great things that had happened to him in Media.
- 16 Then Tobit went out to meet his daughter-in-law at the gate of Nineveh, rejoicing and praising God. Those who saw him as he went were amazed because he could see.
- 17 And Tobit gave thanks before them that God had been merciful to him. When Tobit came near to Sarah his daughter-in-law, he blessed her, saying, "Welcome, daughter! Blessed is God who has brought you to us, and blessed are your father and your mother." So there was rejoicing among all his brethren in Nineveh.
Psalms 146:1-2, 6-10
Response: Praise the Lord, my soul!
- 1 Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul!
5 Happy is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God, R
- 6 who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them; who keeps faith for ever;
- 7 who executes justice for the oppressed; who gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets the prisoners free; R
- 8 the LORD opens the eyes of the blind. The LORD lifts up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.
- 9 The LORD watches over the sojourners, he upholds the widow and the fatherless; but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin. R
- Gospel for the Day
- 35 And as Jesus taught in the temple, he said, "How can the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David?
- 36 David himself, inspired by the Holy Spirit, declared, `The Lord said to my Lord, Sit at my right hand, till I put thy enemies under thy feet.'
- 37 David himself calls him Lord; so how is he his son?" And the great throng heard him gladly.
- Popes charity reaches out again to Covid-hit countries
- Zambias first President, Kenneth Kaunda, has died.
- UN: desertification and drought hit 3.2 billion people
- UNICEF calls for investment in climate-resilient water infrastructure in Africa
- Another Catholic priest arrested by Myanmar military
- COP26: Faith and Science event to highlight efforts against climate crisis
- Holy See: Combat trafficking in persons through culture of respect, dignity