Readings of the Day: Friday of the Fifth Week of Lent
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Reading for the Day
Reading for the Day
- 10 For I hear many whispering. Terror is on every side! "Denounce him! Let us denounce him!" say all my familiar friends, watching for my fall. "Perhaps he will be deceived, then we can overcome him, and take our revenge on him."
- 11 But the LORD is with me as a dread warrior; therefore my persecutors will stumble, they will not overcome me. They will be greatly shamed, for they will not succeed. Their eternal dishonor will never be forgotten.
- 12 O LORD of hosts, who triest the righteous, who seest the heart and the mind, let me see thy vengeance upon them, for to thee have I committed my cause.
- 13 Sing to the LORD; praise the LORD! For he has delivered the life of the needy from the hand of evildoers.
Response: In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice.
- 1 I love thee, O LORD, my strength.
- 2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. R
- 3 I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.
- 4 The cords of death encompassed me, the torrents of perdition assailed me; R
- 5 the cords of Sheol entangled me, the snares of death confronted me.
- 6 In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears. R
Gospel for the Day
- 31 The Jews took up stones again to stone him.
- 32 Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of these do you stone me?"
- 33 The Jews answered him, "It is not for a good work that we stone you but for blasphemy; because you, being a man, make yourself God."
- 34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, `I said, you are gods'?
- 35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came (and scripture cannot be broken),
- 36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, `You are blaspheming,' because I said, `I am the Son of God'?
- 37 If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me;
- 38 but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."
- 39 Again they tried to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands.
- 40 He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John at first baptized, and there he remained.
- 41 And many came to him; and they said, "John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true."
- 42 And many believed in him there.
- Pope at Regina Coeli prays for poor and vulnerable of Amazonia
- Pope Francis: Church is reconciled community ready for mission
- Pentecost challenges our superficial differences as humans
- Pope at Pentecost: Holy Spirit unites Christians as Gods children in self-giving
- Pope Franciss Pentecost message for ecumenical prayer movement
- Vatican Museums: Beauty that Unites! 51
- Pope to CHARIS: May we bring an end to the pandemic of poverty