Readings of the Day: First Sunday of Lent
Your ways, O Lord, are love and truth to those who keep your covenant.
Reading for the Day
- 8 Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him,
- 9 "Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your descendants after you,
- 10 and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark.
- 11 I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth."
- 12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations:
- 13 I set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
- 14 When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds,
- 15 I will remember my covenant which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.
Response: .Your paths, Lord, are love and faithfulness for those who keep your covenant.
- 4 Make me to know thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.
- 5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me, for thou art the God of my salvation; for thee I wait all the day long. R
- 6 Be mindful of thy mercy, O LORD, and of thy steadfast love, for they have been from of old.
- 7 Remember not the sins of my youth, or my transgressions; according to thy steadfast love remember me, for thy goodness' sake, O LORD! R
- 8 Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
- 9 He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. R
Second Reading for the Day
1 Peter 3:18-22
- 18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit;
- 19 in which he went and preached to the spirits in prison,
- 20 who formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water.
- 21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
- 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to him.
Gospel for the Day
- 12 The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness.
- 13 And he was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered to him.
- 14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God,
- 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the gospel."
- Abp of Birmingham: Popes Iraq visit an impetus for dialogue and hope
- Pope to journalists on flight: "Fraternity is the way forward"
- Pope sends greetings of peace during flight from Iraq
- Pope Francis thanks Our Lady upon return from Iraq visit
- Senegal: Protest erupt following arrest of opposition figure
- Munitions blast leaves trail of destruction in Equatorial Guinea city
- Pope bids farewell to Iraq after a historic visit