Readings of the day: First Sunday of Advent
O LORD, why dost thou make us err from thy ways and harden our heart, so that we fear thee not? Return for the sake of thy servants, the tribes of thy heritage.
Reading for the Day
Isaiah 63:16-17, 19; 64:2-7
- 16 For thou art our Father, though Abraham does not know us and Israel does not acknowledge us; thou, O LORD, art our Father, our Redeemer from of old is thy name.
- 17 O LORD, why dost thou make us err from thy ways and harden our heart, so that we fear thee not? Return for the sake of thy servants, the tribes of thy heritage.
- 19 We have become like those over whom thou hast never ruled, like those who are not called by thy name.
- 2 as when fire kindles brushwood and the fire causes water to boil -- to make thy name known to thy adversaries, and that the nations might tremble at thy presence!
- 3 When thou didst terrible things which we looked not for, thou camest down, the mountains quaked at thy presence.
- 4 From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear, no eye has seen a God besides thee, who works for those who wait for him.
- 5 Thou meetest him that joyfully works righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways. Behold, thou wast angry, and we sinned; in our sins we have been a long time, and shall we be saved?
- 6 We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.
- 7 There is no one that calls upon thy name, that bestirs himself to take hold of thee; for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast delivered us into the hand of our iniquities.
Psalms 80:2-3, 15-16, 18-19
Response: Restore us, O God; let your face shine, that we may be saved.
- 1 Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou who leadest Joseph like a flock! Thou who art enthroned upon the cherubim, shine forth
- 2 before E'phraim and Benjamin and Manas'seh! Stir up thy might, and come to save us! R
- 14 Turn again, O God of hosts! Look down from heaven, and see; have regard for this vine,
- 15 the stock which thy right hand planted. R
- 17 But let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, the son of man whom thou hast made strong for thyself!
18 Then we will never turn back from thee; give us life, and we will call on thy name! R
Second Reading for the Day
1 Corinthians 1:3-9
- 3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- 4 I give thanks to God always for you because of the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus,
- 5 that in every way you were enriched in him with all speech and all knowledge --
- 6 even as the testimony to Christ was confirmed among you --
- 7 so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ;
- 8 who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- 9 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Gospel for the Day
- 33 Take heed, watch; for you do not know when the time will come.
- 34 It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servants in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to be on the watch.
- 35 Watch therefore -- for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or in the morning --
- 36 lest he come suddenly and find you asleep.
- 37 And what I say to you I say to all: Watch."
- “Aid to the Church in Need”: possible atrocities in Tigray
- CAR: Post-election violence impacting children the most
- Syria: More than 50% of children are deprived of education
- German Christians launch Year of Ecumenism
- Carlo Petrini and the new humanism that Laudato Si initiates
- Pope Francis: We can bear fruit only if we remain united in Jesus
- Catholic priest murdered in the Philippines