Readings of the day: Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Light rises in the darkness for the upright; the LORD is gracious, merciful, and righteous. 5 It is well with the man who deals generously and lends, who conducts his affairs with justice.
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
- 7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
- 8 Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you, the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
- 9 Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer; you shall cry, and he will say, Here I am. "If you take away from the midst of you the yoke, the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
- 10 if you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.
Response: The just man is a light in darkness to the upright. or:Alleluia.
- 4 Light rises in the darkness for the upright; the LORD is gracious, merciful, and righteous.
- 5 It is well with the man who deals generously and lends, who conducts his affairs with justice. R
- 6 For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered for ever.
- 7 He is not afraid of evil tidings; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD. R
- 8 His heart is steady, he will not be afraid, until he sees his desire on his adversaries.
- 9 He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures for ever; his horn is exalted in honor. R
Second Reading for the day
1 Corinthians 2:1-5
- 1 When I came to you, brethren, I did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God in lofty words or wisdom.
- 2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
- 3 And I was with you in weakness and in much fear and trembling;
- 4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
- 5 that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
Gospel for the day
- 13 "You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trodden under foot by men.
- 14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.
- 15 Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.
- 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
- Cardinal Comastri: Pope St John Paul II transformed his cross into love
- Bishops express dismay at abortion legislation for Northern Irel
- Covid-19: Australian Church increases response to pandemic
- Pope at Audience: a pure heart sees God
- Spending on weapons robs world of resources for pandemics
- Pope Francis prays for those working in the media
- Pope appoints new Apostolic Nuncio to Sudan and Eritrea