Readings of the day: Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord
The LORD reigns; let the earth rejoice; let the many coastlands be glad! Clouds and thick darkness are round about him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne.
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14
- 9 As I watched, Thrones were set up and the Ancient One took his throne. His clothing was snow bright, and the hair on his head as white as wool; His throne was flames of fire, with wheels of burning fire.
- 10 A surging stream of fire flowed out from where he sat; Thousands upon thousands were ministering to him, and myriads upon myriads attended him. The court was convened, and the books were opened.
- 13 As the visions during the night continued, I saw One like a son of man coming, on the clouds of heaven; When he reached the Ancient One and was presented before him,
- 14 He received dominion, glory, and kingship; nations and peoples of every language serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.
Psalms 97:1-2, 5-6, 9
Response: The Lord is king, the Most High over all the earth.
- 1 The LORD reigns; let the earth rejoice; let the many coastlands be glad! R
- 2 Clouds and thick darkness are round about him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne.
- 5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth. R
- 6 The heavens proclaim his righteousness; and all the peoples behold his glory.
- 9 For thou, O LORD, art most high over all the earth; thou art exalted far above all gods. R
Second Reading for the day
2 Peter 1:16-19
- 16 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
- 17 For when he received honor and glory from God the Father and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,"
- 18 we heard this voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain.
- 19 And we have the prophetic word made more sure. You will do well to pay attention to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.
Gospel for the day
- 28 Now about eight days after these sayings he took with him Peter and John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray.
- 29 And as he was praying, the appearance of his countenance was altered, and his raiment became dazzling white.
- 30 And behold, two men talked with him, Moses and Eli'jah,
- 31 who appeared in glory and spoke of his departure, which he was to accomplish at Jerusalem.
- 32 Now Peter and those who were with him were heavy with sleep, and when they wakened they saw his glory and the two men who stood with him.
- 33 And as the men were parting from him, Peter said to Jesus, "Master, it is well that we are here; let us make three booths, one for you and one for Moses and one for Eli'jah" -- not knowing what he said.
- 34 As he said this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were afraid as they entered the cloud.
- 35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!"
- 36 And when the voice had spoken, Jesus was found alone. And they kept silence and told no one in those days anything of what they had seen.
- Europe racing to limit second wave of coronavirus infections
- WFP appeals for support to avert starvation
- WMOF: Stories of faith and family life
- Pope: “pharmaceutical marginality” furthers gap between nations
- Card. Krajewski: Father Malgesini lived no greater love than this
- Bangladesh Christians pledge to care for creation
- UNICEF reports minors face charges for peaceful protests in Belarus