Readings of the day: Feast of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph
How lovely is thy dwelling place, O LORD of hosts! My soul longs, yea, faints for the courts of the LORD; my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God.
Reading for the day
Get the world's most loved and largest selling Catholic Missal praying and living the Eucharist in India. Fabulous Offer: 36 Issues for just Rs 2,880/-
Reading for the day
Samuel 1:20-22, 24-28
- 20 and in due time Hannah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Samuel, for she said, "I have asked him of the LORD."
- 21 And the man Elka'nah and all his house went up to offer to the LORD the yearly sacrifice, and to pay his vow.
- 22 But Hannah did not go up, for she said to her husband, "As soon as the child is weaned, I will bring him, that he may appear in the presence of the LORD, and abide there for ever."
- 24 And when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, along with a three-year-old bull, an ephah of flour, and a skin of wine; and she brought him to the house of the LORD at Shiloh; and the child was young.
- 25 Then they slew the bull, and they brought the child to Eli.
- 26 And she said, "Oh, my lord! As you live, my lord, I am the woman who was standing here in your presence, praying to the LORD.
- 27 For this child I prayed; and the LORD has granted me my petition which I made to him.
- 28 Therefore I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he lives, he is lent to the LORD." And they worshiped the LORD there.
Psalms 84:2-3, 5-6, 9-10
Response: Blessed are those who fear the Lord and walk in his ways.
- 1 How lovely is thy dwelling place, O LORD of hosts!
- 2 My soul longs, yea, faints for the courts of the LORD; my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God.
- 4 Blessed are those who dwell in thy house, ever singing thy praise! R
- 5 Blessed are the men whose strength is in thee, in whose heart are the highways to Zion.
- 8 O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob! R
- 9 Behold our shield, O God; look upon the face of thine anointed!
Second Reading for the day
1 John 3:1-2, 21-24
- 1 See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
- 2 Beloved, we are God's children now; it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
- 21 Beloved, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God;
- 22 and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him.
- 23 And this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us.
- 24 All who keep his commandments abide in him, and he in them. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit which he has given us.
Gospel for the day
- 41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the Passover.
- 42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom;
- 43 and when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents did not know it,
- 44 but supposing him to be in the company they went a day's journey, and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintances;
- 45 and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking him.
- 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions;
- 47 and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.
- 48 And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously."
- 49 And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"
- 50 And they did not understand the saying which he spoke to them.
- 51 And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.
- 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man.
- Reflections for the Feast of Corpus Christi
- When the movie Shazam taught me a thing or two about Christian Life!
- Scores die in ethnic violence between herdsmen and farmers in Mali
- Migrants and refugees. Contributions and present challenges
- Murder charges filed over downing of flight MH17
- Pope in Naples: migration and theology in the Mediterranean
- Kidnapped Catholic priest freed in Nigeria