Readings of the day: Feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica in Rome
The waters of the river gladden the city of God, the holy dwelling of the Most High!
Reading for the day
Ezekiel 47:1-2, 8-9, 12
- 1 Then he brought me back to the door of the temple; and behold, water was issuing from below the threshold of the temple toward the east (for the temple faced east); and the water was flowing down from below the south end of the threshold of the temple, south of the altar.
- 2 Then he brought me out by way of the north gate, and led me round on the outside to the outer gate, that faces toward the east; and the water was coming out on the south side.
- 8 And he said to me, "This water flows toward the eastern region and goes down into the Arabah; and when it enters the stagnant waters of the sea, the water will become fresh.
- 9 And wherever the river goes every living creature which swarms will live, and there will be very many fish; for this water goes there, that the waters of the sea may become fresh; so everything will live where the river goes.
- 12 And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing."
Psalms 46:2-3, 5-6, 8-9
Response: The waters of the river gladden the city of God, the holy dwelling of the Most High!
- 1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
- 2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; R
- 4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High.
- 5 God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God will help her right early.
- 7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. R
- 8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, how he has wrought desolations in the earth.
Second reading for the day
1 Corinthians 3:9-11, 16-17
- 9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.
- 10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and another man is building upon it. Let each man take care how he builds upon it.
- 11 For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
- 16 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?
- 17 If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.
Gospel for the day
- 13 The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
- 14 In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers at their business.
- 15 And making a whip of cords, he drove them all, with the sheep and oxen, out of the temple; and he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables.
- 16 And he told those who sold the pigeons, "Take these things away; you shall not make my Father's house a house of trade."
- 17 His disciples remembered that it was written, "Zeal for thy house will consume me."
- 18 The Jews then said to him, "What sign have you to show us for doing this?"
- 19 Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."
- 20 The Jews then said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?"
- 21 But he spoke of the temple of his body.
- 22 When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this; and they believed the scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken.
- Pope Francis, Asian Bishops, others renew solidarity with Sri Lanka after blasts
- Pope at Regina Coeli: “The risen Jesus walks beside us”
- Pope at Regina Coeli on Easter Monday: Full text
- Estonian priest, WWII veteran, and former Vatican Radio employee dies at 93
- We Are ‘Easter People’
- Resurrection as a spiritual experience
- Pope recalls 70th anniversary of first papal TV appearance