Lord, may I never forget love and justice
Those who truly live in the Spirit do not need rules or the Law. Paul is clear: the signs of the Spirits are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness.
Wednesday 14th October 2020
28th Week in Ordinary Time
Gal.5:18-25; Ps. 1:1-2,3,4,6;
Lk. 11:42-46 (Ps Wk IV)
Those who truly live in the Spirit do not need rules or the Law. Paul is clear: the signs of the Spirits are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. If someone is living like this, then they don't need any rule book.
The trouble is, most of us at least occasionally live according to the flesh, characterized by every sort of immorality plus quarrelling, jealousy, hatred, and division. We talk a lot about the Spirit, but we need to observe our own lives a bit more closely to see if there is enough evidence that we have the Spirit! The Spirit is not about shouting ‘halleluiah’ but being enthusiastic about simple, everyday living in love, patience, and humility.
Jesus scolded the Pharisees because, like many religious people, they focused on the rules and forgot about justice and the love of God. Some of them heaped burdens on others but did nothing to help them manage. They also let self-seeking creep into their spirituality. This is a tendency with all religions, and we all need to be vigilant. Love and justice are the essential core of proper worship of God; when we forget that, we have lapsed into idolatry. The well-being and happiness of people are always first on God’s list, and it should be first on ours.
Lord, may I never forget love and justice.
- Cardinal Czerny: Pope Francis social teaching inspires a Church "going out"
- Cardinal Parolin: “All will go well” with the Holy See/China Agreement
- Popes charity reaches out to families of shipwrecked crew
- "Francesco": a new documentary on the life and teaching of Pope Francis
- Faith and symbolism at Romes interreligious Meeting for Peace
- Give us O God, great popes like Saint John Paul II
- Pope at audience: psalms lead to adore God and love His children